Grant Sun, MD
Grant Sun, MD is a fellowship trained Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in foot and ankle at The Orthopedic Specialty Hospital (TOSH). He treats all aspects of foot and ankle pathology including ankle articular cartilage and sports injuries, fractures, limb deformity, arthritis, Achilles tears and disorders as well as forefoot pathology including bunions and toe deformities. He also provides trauma care at LDS Hospital, and has operating privileges at TOSH, Intermountain Medical Center, St. Mark’s, Riverton, and Alta View Hospitals.
Dr. Sun is a member of the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society (AOFAS) and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS).
Dr. Sun grew up in Utah, graduating from Northridge High School and completing his undergraduate degree at the University of Utah in Biomedical Engineering. He received his Doctor of Medicine from the University of Utah as well, and then completed his orthopedic residency at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, Oregon. He went on to complete his subspecialty fellowship training at Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas, Texas under internationally renowned and former AOFAS president James Brodsky, MD. While there, he trained in all aspects of complex foot reconstruction, minimally invasive surgery and arthroscopy and completed clinical research in the surgical correction of bunions.
Dr. Sun is excited to be back home in Utah after his medical training and establish his practice in the community in which he grew up. He lives with his wife and daughter in the Salt Lake City area, and in his free time enjoys mountain biking, backcountry skiing, wing foiling and spending time in the beautiful Utah wilderness.
- Orthopedic foot and ankle
- Orthopedic trauma
- ABOS board eligible
- Fellowship: Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- Residency: Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR
- Professional Medical: University of Utah, SLC, UT
- Undergraduate: University of Utah, SLC, UT
- Sun G, Gundle, K, Arnold, K, Contag A, Crawford D (2020) Effects of Immediate Postoperative Physical Therapy on Negative Events following Ambulatory Orthopaedic Surgery. Ann Sports Med Res 7(3): 1154.
- Potter MQ, Sun GS, Fraser JA, Beckmann JT, Swenson JD, Maak TG, Aoki SK. Psychological distress in hip arthroscopy patients affects postoperative pain control. Arthroscopy. 2014 Feb; 30(2): 195-201.
- Potter MQ, Wylie J, Sun GS, Beckmann JT, Swenson JD, Aoki SK. Psychological distress reduces preoperative self-assessment scores in femoroacetabular impingement patients. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Jun; 472(6): 1886-92.
- Gilliland JM, Anderson LA, Sun G, Erickson JA, Peters CL. Perioperative closure-related complication rates and cost analysis of barbed suture for closure in TKA. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 Jan; 470(1): 125-9.
- Sun G, Zide JR, Riccio A. Tarsal coalition, Kohlers Disease and Freiberg infraction. AAOS Resident Online Cirriculum. 2021
- Sun G, Zide JR, Riccio A. Idiopathic toe walking and pediatric toe disorders. AAOS Resident Online Cirriculum. 2021
- Sun G, Brodsky, Modified scarf osteotomy for recurrent hallux valgus. In data collection.
- Hallux Rigidus: The Buffet of Treatment Options in 2021. Dallas, TX
- The Cavovarus foot. Dallas, TX
- Foot and ankle OITE preparation. Dallas, TX
- Ankle arthritis. Dallas, TX
- Effects of Immediate Postoperative Physical Therapy on Negative Events following Ambulatory Orthopaedic Surgery. OHSU Grand Rounds Conference. Portland, OR
- “MRI diagnostics for the hand and wrist.” OHSU Hand Surgery Conference. Portland, OR
- “Radial Tunnel Syndrome” OHSU Hand Surgery Conference. Portland, OR
- “Dissociation of dual mobility total hip implants with closed reduction.” Morbidity and Mortality Conference, OHSU. Portland, OR
- “Hip fractures and dislocations for the trauma surgeon.” General surgery trauma conference, OHSU. Portland, OR
- “Lower extremity deformity from the Philippines.” Case Presentations Conference, OHSU. Portland, OR
- “Distal radius fracture management.” Hand Conference, OHSU. Portland, OR
- “Total ankle vs ankle arthrodesis.” Orthopedic Grand Rounds, OHSU. Portland, OR
- “Pediatric elbow fractures.” Shriners Hospital, Portland, OR
- “Surgical management of scapula fractures.” Orthopedic Grand Rounds, OHSU. Portland, OR
- “The Intervertebral Disk.” Orthopedic Grand Rounds, OHSU. Portland, OR
- “Design, prototyping, fabrication and development of the Helical Epidural Access Drill (HEAD) Bit for more efficient and affordable craniotomy access.” Bench-to-Bedside Device Competition
- “A novel cost effective fiberoptic laryngoscope for difficult intubations in the third world using the Smartscope.” Bench-to-Bedside Medical Device Competition
- “Reliacore: an innovative solution to bone marrow biopsies. Better needle, better biopsies, better care.” Bench-to-Bedside Medical Device Competition