Nathan G. Momberger, MD
Dr. Nathan Momberger specializes in reconstructive surgery of the hip and knee. Dr. Momberger, a Utah native, completed his orthopedic residency at the University of Utah and the University of Washington. He then completed additional fellowship training in complex hip and knee reconstruction at Rush University in Chicago.
With over 20 years of experience in his specialty, Dr. Momberger has performed tens of thousands of hip and knee replacements. His reputation in the community has made him a trusted referral source for the most difficult reconstructive problems. Complex deformities, failed total joint replacements and infections are routinely treated in his practice.
Dr. Momberger possesses a passion for orthopedic research and humanitarian outreach. As Medical Director for Total Joint Replacement for the Intermountain Healthcare system, Dr. Momberger is actively publishing research related to joint replacement. His humanitarian outreach has taken his surgical team to Japan, Honduras, El Salvador and Morocco to perform surgeries for those in desperate need.
Dr. Momberger joined The Orthopedic Specialty Clinic in August 2000. He is board certified in adult reconstructive surgery of the hip and knee. He is a fellow of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons and a member of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. He has also served as team physician for the U.S. Ski team for over a decade.
- Total Joint Replacement of the Hip and Knee
- Board Certified, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Associate Clinical Professor, University of Utah Dept of Orthopedics
- Medical Director, Total Joint Replacement, Intermountain Healthcare
- Fellow, American Association of Orthopedic Surgeons
- Fellow, American Association of Hip Knee Surgeons
- Member, Utah Orthopedic Association
- Team Physician, US Ski Team
- Fellowship: Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement, Rush Presbyterian/Central DuPage Hospital 2000
- Residency: University of Utah Medical Center and Affiliated Hospitals 1999
- Internship: University of Washington 1995
- Medical School: Doctor of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine 1994
- Undergraduate: BA Spanish, Minor Chemistry, University of Utah 1990
School of Oswestry, Wales, United Kingdom “A” levels in biology, chemistry, history 1982
- Calcaneocuboid Joint Pressure after Lateral Column Lengthening in a Cadaveric Planovalgus Deformity Model: Momberger NG, Morgan JM, Barchus K, West J Journal of Foot and Ankle Int. 2000 Sep:21(9):730-5.
- Mineral Apposition Rates of Human Cancellous Bone at the Interface of Porous Coated Implants. Bloebaum RD, Momberger NG, Bachus KN, Hofmann AA. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research.28:1-7(1994).
- Intramedullary Nailing Of Femur Fractures in Adolescents,: Momberger NG, Stevens PM, Smith JT, Santora S, Scott S, Anderson JA J Pediatric Orthop.2000 Jul-Aug;20(4):482-4. Reconstruction of Segmental Defects of the Clavicle Utilizing Autogenous, Vascularized, Free Fibula grafts :Coleman DA, Momberger NG, Coleman SA. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow,2000 Sep-Oct;9(5):389-94.
- Preoperative Recognition of Acetabular Defects: Paths of Reason: Paprosky WG, Momberger NG, Orthopedics 2000 Sept;23(9)959-60.
- Extended Trochanteric Osteotomy in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty: Miner T, Momberger NG, Orthopedics 2000 Sept;23(9):959-60.
- Cage Reconstruction Using Cemented Acetabular Shells in Revision Acetabular Reconstruction: Momberger, NG, Miner T, Paprosky WG:(in press J Arthroplasty Jan. 2002)
- The Use of Intra-operative Synovial Fluid White Cell Count in Revision Hip Arthroplasty: momberger, NG, Paprosky WG, Chase R, Meaney M, (in press J of Arthroplasty, jan.2002
- Minimum Ten-Year Results in Cementless Total Hip Arthroplasty in Patients Under Fifty Years Old: Kronick J, Momberger NG, Paprosky WG, (submitted for publication, CORR,1/2001)
- Periprosthetic Fractures of the Acetabulum Associated with a Total Hip Arthroplasty: Momberger, Nathan G., Craig J. Della Valle, and Wayne G. Paprosky. Instructional Course Lectures (2003), Vol 52, p 281-290. PubMed:12690856
- “Tantalum Patellar Reconstruction in Patients with Prior Patellectomy”; Momberger NG. Western Orthopedic Association San Diego 2007.
- “Cemented Porous Coated Shells vs. All Polyethylene Shells in Acetabular Cage Reconstruction”: Momberger NG Miner T, Paprosky WG. (AAOS San Francisco, CA, 2001)
- “Extended Trochanteric Osteotomy in Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty”: Miner T, Momberger NG, Paprosky WG. (AAOS San Francisco, CA, 2001) “The Use of Intra-operative Synovial Fluid White Cell Count in Revision Hip Arthroplasty”: Momberger, NG, Paprosky (American Assoc of Hip and Knee Surgeons, Fall Mrg. Dallas, TX.11/00)
- “Restoring Offset in Total Hip Arthroplasty”: Paprosky WG, Momberger NG Depuy Learning Center, Chicago IL 6/2000.
Instructional Course Lecture;
“ Periprosthetic Fractures Around Total Hip
Managing the Acetabulum”: Paprosky WP, Momberger NG., AAOS
Meeting Orlando, Florida. 3/2000.
“Calcaneocuboid joint Pressure after Lateral Column Lengthening in a Cadaveric
Planovalgus Deformity Model,” AAOS Meeting, Anaheim, CA. 3/1999.
- “Reconstruction of Segmental Defects of the Clavicle Utilizing Autogenous,
Vascularized, Free Fibula Grafts.” American Society for Reconstructive Microsurgery,
Scottsdale, AZ. 1/10/98.
- “Lateral Column Lengthening in the Planovalgus Foot”. Grand Rounds Presentation.
University of Utah Dept. Of Orthopedics, 3/98.
- “Wound Ballistics and Gunshot Wounds to the Extremities”. Grand Rounds
Presentation. University of Utah Dept. Of Orthopedics, 2/97.
- “Mineral Apposition Rates of Human Cancellous Bone at the Interface of Porous
Coated Implants.” AAOS Meeting, Washington D.C, 2/92, paper #410, pg.227.